Saturday 27 July 2013

Tidbits from the past few days

On Wednesday (7/24) I climbed to the top of the Church of Our Saviour. The church is famous for it's gold spiral external staircase. Before we could make it to the outdoor staircase, we had to ascend the church interior. It was a hot day and space inside was cramped-- climbing through the indoor tower was like crawling through an attic for ten minutes. However, the stuffiness was short-lived and forgotten once I reached the spiral staircase. 


Panoramic view from the top 


fluffy friend
On Thursday (7/25) afternoon I studied at The Royal Library. The Royal Library is called the Black Diamond because when the water reflects on the black marble and glass walls, it sparkles like a diamond. This is the largest library out of all the Nordic countries-- it is connected to the old royal library, has a concert hall and an eight story atrium, houses numerous historical relics, and is a great place to study.
The Black Diamond Library
Atrium

On Thursday night I went to Pumpehuset, a famous Copenhagen concert venue. The summer university program organized a Danish music experience with a variety of performers. The event was enjoyable but I wasn't there for too long.

Danish rappers
After Pumpehuset, I went to Sam's Bar for some karaoke. While waiting for some other friends to arrive, I made some Danish friends -- Camilla, Casper, and unfortunately I don't remember the other woman's name lol. I was practicing my Danish with them (they said I have a really good accent!) and asked them about a couple old Danish songs I learned about in class: Smuk og Delig (Beautiful and Lovely) by Anne Linnet and Sexchikane (Sexual Harassment by Shu-Bi-Dua). I thought it was a bit odd when we were deciphering the lyrics of Sexchikane in Danish class, but apparently it was a popular song in the 70's and a lot of people today know it as well. Unfortunately, Smuk og Delig and Sexchikane, were not in the karaoke book but we had fun singing Allstar by Smashmouth instead.

Gettin down with the Danes

On Friday (7/26) I went on one last outing with Bunny and Bjarne. We went to Frederiksborg Slot, aka the Versailles of Scandinavia. Frederiksborg Slot was built as a royal residence for King Christian IV between 1602-1620 and used by the royal family until a fire destroyed most of the castle in 1859. Philanthropist, J.C. Jacobsen of the Carlsberg Brewery, stepped up to rebuild the castle after the fire and converted it into a national history museum.

Castle actors - King Frederik IV and his daughter
Fun fact: Since the 16th century, males of the Danish monarchy have been named Frederik and Christian in alternating order.  Currently, the crown prince Frederik and his wife have two sons, Prince Christian and Prince Frederik.
The Great Hall
Modern Art Gallery on the third floor
Danish rendition of Delacroix's 'Liberty Leading the People'

Baroque-style garden

Today, Saturday 7/27, I went to Torvehallerne, an indoor market in Nørreport similar to San Francisco's Ferry Building. At this food oasis, there are over 60 high quality vendors, ranging from Paleo meals and gourmet chocolate to fresh fish, cheese, and sushi. I loved Torvehallerne and will be returning sometime in my last week here!


Smørrebrød - Open face sandwich, Classic Danish Food 

Delicious duck confit sandwich from Ma Poule's 


No comments:

Post a Comment